Lightening your hair is something that tempts us very often, especially as the hottest season of the year approaches, when the days get longer and the sun enhances the color of our skin and accentuates the natural highlights of our hair. More and more often, however, we want to avoid using chemical and aggressive products that risk not only damaging our hair, but also our scalp. And, another aspect not to be underestimated, the use of chemical products does not guarantee the natural effect we aspire to.
The good news is that there are many natural methods to achieve the desired objective with the certainty of respecting our hair and scalp. And there is a good chance that all we need to lighten hair naturally is already in our home.
What we should expect from natural methods to lighten hair
A necessary premise. It is true that natural methods allow us to obtain perfect results without risk, but it is also true that in some cases the treatments must be repeated periodically, even once a week, before reaching the set goal. The natural methods that we illustrate below are effective and do not take too much time, but they do not work miracles: the effect of the same are more evident on light brown or blond hair, but may be more bland on dark hair, while managing to give even in the latter case a natural brightness difficult to achieve with chemical products.
How to lighten hair with lemon juice
Ihe lemon juice is one of the most effective and widely used natural hair lighteners, perfect for making our light blonde, dark blonde or brown hair color more blonde, but we should not use it alone. After following the procedure outlined below we must apply a nourishing and emollient product to compensate for the drying effect caused by the lemon, such as a homemade conditioner with honey or avocado:
- We squeeze the juice of two lemons in a cup of warm water;
- We apply the mixture on the hair starting from the root and reaching the tips, even helping with a spray or absorbent cotton pads;
- Let act for about 20/30 minutes;
- Rinse hair well;
- Apply the nourishing product.
Lighten hair with chamomile tea
Another natural remedy, effective and full of benefits is the chamomile, which is not only limited to lighten the hair, but also helps to stop hair loss, strengthen the roots, eliminate excess sebum and dandruff and also makes our hair thicker and more elastic. It is no coincidence that many products we find on the market have chamomile among the main ingredients. The procedure to lighten hair using chamomile is really simple:
- We boil a sachet of chamomile or 3 tablespoons of chamomile flowers in a liter of water for 10 minutes;
- Let it cool and, if we have used the flowers, filter the infusion;
- We add the juice of one lemon and one tablespoon of apple cider vinegar;
- We apply the infusion on the hair after shampooing and let the hair dry naturally, even better if in the sun for an even more noticeable effect.
We suggest repeating the operation once a week for an even more noticeable effect.
The lightening effect of beer on hair
It is not an urban legend, but a method very much in vogue since the '50s: use beer to lighten hair, provided that you start from a clear base. To lighten blond or brown hair with beer, all we need is a light beer and a basin:
- We pour the contents of a beer (or more than one in the case of very long hair) in a bowl
- We immerse the hair in the bowl and let it soak for 5 minutes
- Squeeze the hair to remove excess liquid
- Wrap hair in a towel and leave on for about an hour.
We make a mild shampoo, suitable for frequent washing such as R5 Moisturizing Shampoo
Also in this case it is recommended to repeat the operation for an even more lightening result.
How to lighten hair with honey
The benefits of honey are well known, but not everyone knows that this nectar is the perfect ally for those who want to lighten their hair and, at the same time, nourish and replenish it.
Depending on the consistency of the acacia honey we want to use, it may be necessary to dilute it with a little water to make the mixture less dense and facilitate its application on freshly damp hair:
- We apply the honey all over the hair, without fear for the scalp
- We put on a shower cap and leave on for at least an hour first
- We rinse thoroughly
The whitening effect of honey is not very fast and for this reason it is advisable to repeat the operation every 3-4 days for a couple of weeks to obtain the desired effect. We can also add a few drops of lemon to the mixture to speed up the process a bit.
Lighten hair with vinegar is possible?
Another important ally for the care of our hair is apple cider vinegar, which not only has a good lightening effect, but also helps to make our hair softer, stronger and shinier. The increased shine can be noticed after the first application, while to enhance the lightening effect we can combine apple cider vinegar with acacia honey:
- We combine acacia honey with apple cider vinegar in a 4:1 proportion depending on how long our hair is
- Mix the mixture well and apply it to the hair from roots to ends
- We cover the hair with a shower cap and let it act for at least 3-4 hours
- Rinse hair carefully until all traces of the mixture are removed.
To ensure shine and softness wash after wash, you can use the R5 moisturizing shampoowhich combines the moisturizing properties of apricot oil with those of jojoba oil. Vegan friendly, not tested on animals, 100% plastic free, zero waste. Product 100% Made in Italy. With 98% ingredients of natural origin, it is totally free of silicones, microplastics and preservatives.