Ideas and tips to reduce our plastic consumption
Reduce consumption of single-use plastic is becoming a priority in the lives of many citizens. Why is reducing the consumption of single-use plastics is so important? This material is destroying the balance of our planet, but our daily choices can make a difference. What are the ways easiest ways to reduce plastic? Here are 10 ideas and tips to reduce plastic in our daily lives.
HOW TO REDUCE PLASTIC IN THE KITCHEN
How to reduce plastic in the home? Each room in the house has its own particularities. Let's start with the the kitchen, an area that lends itself easily to the use of disposable plastic materials. If we want to make a difference, we must focus on reusable and long-lasting materials. Remember that every habit can be modified and replaced, so here are the first 5 tips to reduce plastic:
- we choose reusable glass or metal containers to store leftover food, or even plastic as long as they are reusable. We can also use special reusable cloths treated with beeswax that adhere to food. In this way we abandon the use of transparent film;
- we buy brushes and sponges in loofah (luffa is a vegetable sponge that is obtained from the dried pulp of the fruit of the Luffa cylindrica).or sponges in biodegradable fibers that do not damage the environment to wash dishes instead of using traditional sponges;
- we choose a refillable soap for washing dishes and fill the same bottle several times;
- use glass bottles for water, prepare juices or smoothies at home, and home make juices or smoothies at home with fresh fruit and fill our personal water bottle before going out.
HOW TO REDUCE PLASTIC IN THE BATHROOM
There is a long list of plastic products in the bathroom that we can replace with items made from other materials. For example, the toothbrush and toothpaste tube, soap bottles, Q-tips, shower sponge,.... We can modify our plastic consumption like this:
- we choose toothbrushes, Q-tips, made of bamboo or natural materials;
- we use for our hygiene solid soap and shampoo that avoid plastic and also the transport of water. Very often they are packaged in sustainable and recyclable packaging.
- we buy sponges that are biodegradable or made of loofah or other natural materials;
- choose toothpaste in glass jars.
When we go out shopping for every purchase we make we are given a bag. We use bags and sacks for fruit, vegetables, shopping. If many are now made of biodegradable materials, others are not. What can we do to reduce plastic when we go out? Here is the next advice:
- we always bring reusable bags for every purchase:
- cotton mesh bags for fruits and vegetables;
- cotton bags with handles for shopping;
- large reinforced cloth bags for shopping.
HOW TO REDUCE PLASTIC: PU
Cleaning is a major source of disposable plastic, as we use bottles that are thrown away when they are finished. This is one of the biggest wastes of plastic of all. Also because only 10% of the contents are actually cleaning products. The rest is water and plastic, Unnecessary. Just buy refills and reuse the bottles over and over again.