The new environmentalist frontier in architecture is the green building. A new way of building houses eco-sustainablethat respect the environment and the health of everyone. Let's discover the principles and guidelines ofsustainable architecture from the reduction of emissions, to the use of non-toxic materials, up to renewable energies. Finally, let's see if it is possible and how to make our home more sustainable.
WHAT IS GREEN BUILDING
La green building is an architectural approach that binds to live and build houses in a way that safeguards the environment and the health of all living beings. The aim is to reduce the environmental impact of buildings that destroy the environment because of the materials used, the resources exploited, the emissions generated. An architecture, therefore, that follows three fundamental points:
- respect for the environment;
- the promotion of health;
- energy saving.
With these guidelines green building seeks to build eco-sustainable homes that respect all living creatures and the environment. Let's find out how.
THE SUSTAINABLE HOUSE
To be able to build a sustainable house green building uses new generation techniques, raw materials that are that do not harm the health of either the environment or living beings, and renewable energy. Not only during the construction phase, but also once a ecological house does not burden the environment, neither with regard to the materialsmaterials, energy or water requirements. In this sense, even the geographical location can be chosen in a reasoned way to ensure energy sources that do not pollute.
One of the pillars ofsustainable architecture One of the pillars of sustainable architecture is to guarantee good insulation through the use of materials non-toxic building materials and well-designed building envelopes.
WHAT DO SUSTAINABLE HOMES LOOK LIKE?
The eco-sustainable homes involve a rational use of resources, let's take a few examples:
- they have systems and automations to save energy;
- they self-produce electrical energy
- they use renewable energy sources;
- they are designed for waste management;
- they have a green area for cultivation;
- they use sunlight to lower energy consumption;
One example among many is the Backyard House built in Seattle. The structure uses large windows to satisfy the need for light, the rooms are arranged so as to have maximum exposure, and the walls are extremely insulating so as to ensure a cool environment in summer and warm in winter.
HOW TO MAKE YOUR HOME MORE SUSTAINABLE
Many houses have not been built according to the principles of green buildingbut it is possible to make your house more sustainable. Here are some tips:
- put up solar panels;
- take advantage of solar cooling, which uses the sun to heat and cool the house;
- intervene on the windows, renewing them, to eliminate drafts;
- use LED lamps;
- we organise well the separate collection of waste;
- use eco-sustainable paintsWe use eco-friendly paints, created with natural ingredients, which are odourless, free of harmful substances and some attract fine dust, thus improving the air in our homes.
- we use cleaning and laundry products with a low environmental impact.
Even if we do not have a house built according to ecological principles, there are many choices we can make to reduce the environmental impact of our home, from the use of renewable energy to the choice of ecological paints that are good for everyone's health. We just have to choose where to start to make a difference. You can start by drastically reducing your plastic and CO2 consumption with R5 products for home, laundry and personal.